Thursday, July 19, 2012

Attitude..what to do with it?

These last few days have been tough. My two have been giving me a terrible attitude. I'm honestly finding myself at a loss as how to handle this.

I have found myself praying for my behavior versus theirs. I'm praying that I will be patient and calm. Kind and loving. This is definitely a stage. The fact that we're cooped up in the house most of the time from the heat doesn't help either.

I guess the reason I feel compelled to pray for my behavior is because children learn from example. Do my children wear on my last nerve sometimes? Absolutely. I'd be lying if I said no, but I have felt lately that I as their mother need to try my best to set a good example for them. Meaning, stay as patient, kind, and calm as possible when I get their attitude.

I'm not the type of mother who deals with backtalk, attitudes, or disrespect well. I feel that as a parent I shouldn't have to either. It is my job as their mother to teach them how to behave properly. And if you are at the same place as me and see my children acting up, you will probably overhear me asking them if we need to go to the bathroom for a correction. I have to stay consistent with them.

I have had strangers in public tell me I'm doing a great job with my kids. We as mothers need that encouragement, because we all have those days where we ask ourselves if we are doing anything right! I know I sure do.

Won't you join me in praying for our behaviors as mothers, because we too can always use an attitude adjustment?

Being a mom is by far the hardest job I've ever had, but it is the most rewarding, and to me the most important thing I will ever do. I do not have it all figured out, nor do I have any answers. I just try to listen and see what God is convicting me to do, and right now, it's watching my attitude towards my very vulnerable children. 


1 comment:

  1. Mine have done the same. I just remind the oldest that her attitude is not something that is becoming of a young lady. And that it makes everyone around her feel bad. That her attitude not only gets her in more trouble, but hurts her making friendships. She seems to understand and tells me that when she is feeling sad or angry her attitude tries to pop out and that she is trying to control it. Now the little one is a different story it has been the attitude toward her sister. So I explained that her attitude makes her sister not want to play with her or teach her something. After that converstation she seems to be doing better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I'd love for you to leave a comment!