Monday, April 22, 2013

The Story of Carly's Birth

This is the story of Carly's birth. Have you ever watched A Baby Story on TLC, and seen some of the women who don't even act like they're in labor? Yeah, this story isn't anything like that. ( Some pictures may be a little blurry, as my husband took them. ;) )


A Little Backstory 


I had a few crazy days before Carly was born, and it just wouldn't be right to not share them here. I had my 39 week appointment on Thursday and was so upset the baby hadn't been born yet. You can read about my horrible day here. It was really horrible.

The next day, my daughters broke my iPod, which is my lifeline. I literally have to have my music to remain sane. I was so upset. I know its just a possession, but it makes me a happy mama, so I feel that's pretty important.

I had a great friend surprise me with flowers later that day. She knew how emotional and out of my mind I was. That generous act of kindness made my day so much better. My tears of sadness turned to happy tears. I'm still thankful for her.

Later that night, my husband was staining our basement steps, so he could spray lacquer on them the following day. We are chatting away and he says, "what is that smell? It smells like a skunk." I told him I didn't smell anything...yet anyways. A few minutes later I caught whiff of the horrible smell. I set out to find it.

I opened our back door, which leads to our sunroom, which we don't use, that's where our dog sleeps. The smell was disgusting! I quickly realized our dog had been sprayed in the face by a skunk. Poor dog!

I want you to envision me, 5' 1, 39 weeks pregnant, picking up my 40 pound dog to lift her into our 18inch deep bathtub. I can't believe I didn't go into labor right then....back to the story.

On Saturday, my husband set out to spray our steps, so the girls and I headed to my grandparents. The smell would be to much for us to stay home and smell. I left the girls to play for awhile, and I set out to go to Target to walk around, and honestly, I just needed to be alone. I had been in such a grumpy mood, so time alone was much needed.

I picked the girls up later and we made our way back home to our smelly house. The fumes gave me a headache, but I survived.

Sunday morning, Mackenzie woke up complaining her tummy hurt. She ended up vomiting. She had caught the flu her sister had just gotten over. She ended up back asleep in my bed.

I decided to take Taylor to church, while my husband stayed home with Mackenzie. I knew I wouldn't be there the next Sunday, so I didn't want to miss that service. I don't know why I went, really. I was so tired, and miserable. I barely even listened to the sermon because I was just so unhappy.

We came home and I snuggled with Mackenzie. She was still getting sick, and running a fever. I felt so bad for her. I laid on the couch most of the day.  I think I may have even dozed off for a bit...which never happens.

I was making lasagna for dinner, and Mackenzie got sick again. I was in with her when my husband comes running by, headed to get his gun. He ran out the door saying the neighbors dogs were in our chicken house. I took off after him! (No lives were lost this day...dogs or chickens, but a chicken did get drug off by the dog.)

Dinner was not good for me, I just didn't feel well. I ended up on the couch, where I sent my friend a message venting about my feelings and how miserable I was. I'm pretty sure I cried a I sent it.

I decided to go to bed early. I was really feeling awful. I was having lots of diarrhea and I was so afraid I was getting what the girls had. I called my mom for a few minutes and told her what was up. I wanted to let her know I may be needing her help if I was sick. I told her I was praying the baby wouldn't be born tonight...not while the girls were not well, and especially if I was sick! Little did I know what was about to happen...

And labor begins...


I barely slept that night. I got up a few times to go to the bathroom. Around 11 or so, I thought I was going to vomit. Thankfully I didn't. I took a couple tums to see if that would help. I was half asleep, and I kept feeling stomach pains. Mackenzie had vomited in her bed during, so Warren got up to help me with her. 

At 2:30, I got up to go to the bathroom again. As I was sitting there, I realized these stomach pains were coming every six minutes. I quickly realized these were contractions. These felt nothing like the braxton hicks I had been feeling for the last 10 weeks. I had to get up and sway my hips to get through them. I woke Warren up and told him we may be going to the hospital really soon. He laid in bed as long as possible. 

I started googling....diarrhea and labor.. Yep! A sign labor is beginning. 

At 3:30, I was for sure I was in labor. I told Warren to get up, call my brother to come over, and to call my mom. As he was making phone calls, Mackenzie got up again, and threw up all the way to the bathroom. I comforted her, and started cleaning up her vomit. I started contracting again and told Warren he was going to have to take care of it. {My husband does not do vomit well...he has a gag reflex, and well you get the hint.}

It's 4am Monday morning, both girls are awake on the couch, my brother shows up, and we give lots of hugs and kisses, and then we take off for the hospital. 

We arrive at 4:30am, and they wheel me to labor and delivery. They do a vaginal exam around 5 to see how far along I was. Still 2cm 75% effaced, just like I was Thursday. I was a bit disappointed, I did not want to be sent home. So they put me on labor watch, and we walked around for an hour. I was still having contractions very regularly. 

Sometime between 6-6:30, my new nurse checked me again. I was a 4-5 and 90%. By this time the only way I was comfortable was standing, bent over the bed and breathing through the contractions. I had to stay in the bed for awhile so she could monitor baby and me. I knew to expect this, but I didn't like it! 

The doctor came in at 7 to talk with me. I agreed to let him break my water, which I wish I hadn't, but I can't change it now! At this point he checked me again, and I was dilated further. I was progressing so quickly. The pain was getting so bad. 

I had originally wanted to do a drug free birth. I wanted to be that tough woman who could do it all, you know? Yeah, not so much.

Everything was happening so quickly. I decided I wanted the epidural. I was in so much pain.

The contractions were coming so fast. I felt so much pressure. I was bent over the bed, doing my best to breathe through each contraction, while Warren pushed on my back. Without him doing that I would have been even more miserable. I barely had time to catch my breath before the next one began. 


He was texting someone an update while I was having a contraction. He had only one hand applying pressure. I was in so much pain, I said, "you're only doing it with one hand!!!!" That's the only time I got upset with him during labor. No, "I hate you's" from this girl.

By the time the anesthesiologist came in, I was dilated to a 7. He was trying to quickly give me some relief. I felt him poking the needle in and everything. After he was finally done, I only felt a little relief. I was surprised with this because with my twins I received an epidural, and didn't really feel much.

 I laid down to try to rest some, but I felt so much pressure. I could still feel every contraction, but the epidural took some of the edge off. In the mist of all of this, my blood pressure started to really drop. I really don't remember all that they were saying in the room. I didn't even know they were giving me medicine to help with my blood pressure, until several minutes later, I think...

I could hear the anesthesiologist and my nurse talking and watching to see if it was raising. Warren just stayed by my side refreshing my wash cloth. Finally it raised and stabilized. I just tried to rest a bit longer, but I was so tingly from the epidural. I was tingly all the way to the top of my boobs, and I couldn't hardly keep my left eye open.

The anesthesiologist came back in awhile to check on me again and asked how I was. I told him my symptoms. Turns out he had hit a nerve or something...I don't really know. All I know is he moved something and my boobs stopped tingling and I could keep my eye open.

 After all this, I was ready to push. I was beyond ready to meet my nameless baby girl. Even though I had an epidural, I felt every single thing...down there. I had read about "the ring of fire". I'm here to tell you, its true. All I could do was keep praying. There was no going back. The only way to get it to stop was well...keep pushing!!!

 After an hour of pushing, the doctor laid my beautiful daughter on my chest. That was the most amazing experience. I did not get to experience this with the birth of my twins. It was so healing for my soul to have her immediately in my arms. I felt like I had waited a lifetime to meet her. It was incredible.




She weighed in at 8lbs 4oz and 19 3/4 inches long. She was almost 4lbs bigger than Mackenzie and almost 2 1/2lbs bigger than Taylor. I knew I would have a hard time giving birth to her. She was worth every single tear I shed while pregnant. She looks almost identical to my baby pictures. It's so neat. I got to do skin to skin immediately as well. She wasn't quite ready to nurse at first, and that was ok. She's a nursing champ now.

Her big sisters came quickly to meet her. Mackenzie wore a mask so the baby wouldn't get sick. We asked the girls what their baby sister's name was. They said Carly. That's what they had wanted to name her all along. How neat is that, to be named by your big sisters? We gave her my middle name, Danielle.



Here was our Carly Danielle, so absolutely perfect. I didn't have any complications, or the need for any pain medication afterwards. Carly was so perfect we went home the next day instead of having to stay another night.

 I spent the next couple days healing and getting to know this baby I knew nothing about. It was incredible, and just what I needed. After having two previous pregnancies, and the premature birth of my twins, this birth was very healing for me. It mended a lot of pain that I had experienced in the past. My husband was the most amazing coach and so supportive. I could not have done it without him.

Did the birth go exactly how I had imagined? No, but I wouldn't have changed it. It's the story of Carly's birth. I'm so thankful for my three beauties. They are such a blessing to my life!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I'd love for you to leave a comment!