Monday, March 23, 2015

Putting On Your Oxygen Mask

I want to let you in on a little secret that has revolutionized my life....

You know when you're on an airplane and the attendant tells you that in case of an emergency to "put on your oxygen mask first, before assisting others?"  Let me tell you how this applies to your everyday life! 

While this post isn't about me, it's about YOU, I feel the best way for me to paint you a visual is by telling you my story. 

Last year I had come to a conclusion that it was time I started making time for myself. I found myself overwhelmed by my days, my weight, and I just couldn't seem to find time to do anything that I wanted to do. We were just beginning our first year of homeschooling, and it was a bit freaky. How would I get it all done? It being, taking care of 3 kids, a house, 5 acres, schooling, and fitting some time for myself in there. 


My days were full of taking care of everyone but myself. I had been trying to heal from bulging discs in my back for almost a year by this point. It was defeating to be in pain everyday. 

I came to the realization that in order for me to have time for myself, I was going to have to MAKE time, and that meant rearranging my day. Sometimes we get so caught up in all the hats that we wear, that we forget to meet the needs of ourselves first. I have been so guilty of that! 

Now, we are all different, our lives are different, so our days look different, but one thing remains the same for all of us, we are all women, and we are the only person who can take care of us. 

We spend our days taking care of everyone else, whether that be your boss, your significant other, children, parents, etc., when do YOU make the list? 

In my case, it was maybe later. Maybe after the kids are in bed. Maybe after the laundry is done. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. 

No more maybes. NOW! It starts now. You are SO important, and you matter more than you think you do. 

Perhaps you're thinking, "when would I be able to fit me in?" "I don't have time to do anything for me." Uh, yes you do! It just has to be of importance to you. If you're waiting to "find time," it's never going to happen. You have to MAKE time. We all have 24 hours in a day, it's all in how you utilize that time. 

For me, I decided to start my day at least 2 hours before my children wake up. Now, I'm not a morning person. I would much rather lay in bed until I have to get up, but clearly that wasn't working for me and my happiness anymore. I had to make a change. For me. Because I matter. It matters so much for me to be Erica first and foremost. I don't want to lose site of that person.  These children are only in my house for a short amount of time, and while I adore being a stay at home mom, they deserve to have the best version of me possible.  

A woman who loves herself enough to take control of her life-body, mind, and spirit. A woman who says, you are so important. If you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen. Even if it means waking up before most and doing something to empower YOU! 


I'm not saying you have to start your day two hours earlier than your norm, I'm just sharing what has worked for me thus far. Somedays I could get away with starting 3-4 hours early, but getting enough sleep is just as important to me. 

So write down a few things that are important to you that you can't seem to find time for, and take a look at your day and rearrange it so you can make time! I highly encourage focusing on growing your spirit, mind, and getting a little exercise in. You seriously won't regret the decision! 

My decision to make time for myself first thing in the mornings has made an incredible impact on my day. I fill my tank first and foremost, then I'm able to fill everyone else's. When I don't fill my tank, I'm left dry and cranky. Anybody else feel that way by the end of the day?? 

You have to put your own oxygen mask on before assisting others. I leave you with this... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I'd love for you to leave a comment!