Saturday, February 16, 2013

Italian Sausage Soup


I cannot tell you where this recipe originated from. I remember finding it in my moms recipe cards years ago. I loved making it when I was a teenager. I made it several times after I got married, but then forgot about it.

I stumbled across it in my recipe box a couple months ago. I had stopped using the recipe cards when I began to eat gluten free, as I was printing so many recipes off the internet. That led to the use of my recipe binder.

I'm so glad I stumbled across this recipe again, because it is so delicious! The picture does not do it any justice!

I made a few changes to this recipe to make it work for me.

Here is what you'll need:

1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic
1 yellow medium onion
2-16 ounce cans tomatoes; I have used crushed, because my family doesn't like chunks of tomatoes, and I've even just used tomato sauce when that's all I had on hand. I prefer the crushed.
1 1/2 cups dry red wine (do not leave this out or your soup will not be as yummy)
10 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp. Basil
1/2 tsp. Oregano
3 tsp. Parsley
2 medium zucchini
1 medium green pepper
2 cups pasta, any kind you prefer

1. Brown sausage. Drain fat.
2. Saute onion and garlic.
3. Add sausage, tomatoes, dry red wine, broth, and spices.
4. Bring just to a boil and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
5. Add zucchini, green pepper, and noodles.
6. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until noodles are done.

*Note: I do not add added salt or pepper to this recipe. I'm a lover of salt and pepper, but do not find this recipe needs it, as the broth and sausage are salty enough.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I'd love for you to leave a comment!